What is a Whole House Water Filter and How Does It Work?
Whole house water filters treat every drop of water in your home. The water you use to drink, cook, shower, brush your teeth, do laundry, and clean is all filtered. It treats water where the main water line enters your home, ensuring the water that flows from every faucet, every showerhead, and even in your washing machine, is clean and filtered. They are also called point of entry (POE) filters which means they are installed where the main water line enters your home. They are gateways for your tap water, and allow only fresh, filtered water to flow to all your faucets and appliances.
What does a whole house water filtration system do?
A whole house water filtration system can do exactly what you need it to do, meaning it can remove whichever contaminants you do not want in your home’s water supply. The most practical and effective whole systems are designed to remove the most common contaminants from municipal water such as chlorine, toxic chemicals, bacteria, parasites, and viruses.
Why do we need a whole water filter?
Clean water is on track to be our next crisis.
Prof Anthony Turton is a water expert from the Centre for Environmental Management at the University of the Free State stated recently that we produce more than 5 billion litres of sewage daily, all of which is discharged into our rivers and dams, and only about 10% of which is treated to a standard that makes it safe for direct human contact.
With more than more than 90% of our wastewater treatment plants dysfunctional due to failing infrastructure, corruption, failing infrastructure, poor planning, poor wastewater treatment, bad works performance, resource mismanagement, the loss of skills, neglect of wastewater treatment works, loadshedding, no political will and unsustainably, we cannot rely on getting save drinking, cooking and bathing water any more. We therefore have no choice to filter our own household water to be sure it is clean and save.
The primary function of carbon filter media is to remove chlorine from water, as well as its chemical taste and smell. We use high quality NSF certified coconut activated carbon media in all our whole house systems that will effectively remove most of the following:
- Sediment and bad taste
- Most toxic pesticides and herbicides
- A wide range of toxic chemicals
- PFOS (Perfluorooctanesulfonic acid)
- Chlorine byproducts such as VOCs, haloacetic acids THMS, etc.
Ultraviolet Sterilizer (UV light)
An ultraviolet sterilizer is an essential part of our whole house water filtration systems that will eliminate the following most common bacteria, parasites, viruses that are found in our rivers and dams, coming from faeces of humans or animals that can cause serious waterborne diseases.
- Vibrio cholera (Cholera)
- coli Bacteria (Abdominal cramps, vomiting, bloody diarrhoea, kidney failure, fever, bleeding, confusion, seizures)
- Cryptosporidium parasite (D stomach cramps. Vomiting)
- Giardia parasite (mild or severe diarrhea, stomach cramps, nausea, dehydration)
- Shigella (abdominal pain, tenesmus, watery diarrhoea, and/or dysentery (multiple scanty, bloody, mucoid stools). abdominal tenderness, fever, vomiting, dehydration, and convulsions
- Salmonella typhi (Typhoid fever – prolonged fever, fatigue, headache, nausea, abdominal pain, and constipation or diarrhoea, severe cases may lead to serious complications or even death)
- Hepatitis A virus (flu-like symptoms, including tiredness, a fever and aches and pains, loss of appetite, feeling and/or being sick, diarrhoea, pain in the upper right part of your tummy (abdomen), dark urine and pale faeces (poo), yellowing of the skin and eyes (jaundice)
- Poliovirus Type 1 (permanent paralysis of the limbs or death if respiratory muscles are involved)
- Rotavirus (gastroenteritis – vomiting and watery diarrhoea, fever, and abdominal pain)